It Pays to Serve God

I am the treasure finder in our home.  For some unknown reason I am always finding things lying around on the ground.  A number of years ago I found a like-new fishing pole on an open beach.  I am constantly finding loose change on the sidewalk.  You may have even read about the glorious diamond I recently discovered.  In the last two days I have found a grand total of 29 cents on the ground during my daily walks.  I know that doesn't sound like much but my discoveries always amaze my daughters who never find anything.  I have been encouraging them to exercise more by saying, "You see it pays to walk!"  They don't seem too motivated considering I've walked over 30 miles this week and have only found enough money for a gumball.  Good health is my real motivation for walking of course.  I do believe it pays to walk.

Over the years I have also learned that it pays to serve God.  I don't minister for the Lord because of what I get paid.  In the past I've been asked some interesting questions:  "So, you're a missionary, Is there any money in that?"  or "Why would you want to go to college for that?  You'll never make any money!"  One unsaved neighbor even told us, "You two could do so much more, you will starve to death trying to be missionaries!"  You see the world doesn't understand God's economy.  Since we surrendered for full time Christian service we have never lacked anything.  We have never had debt.  We are content and we have purpose in our lives.   We have basically never had to ask anyone to loan us money.  Every need has always been met.  As an added bonus we are very happy people!  We've learned it really does pay to serve God.  We have blessings that money can't buy!

Now if you are one of our faithful supporters please don't take this as an excuse to cut our support!  (We are currently a little under-supported!)  You see God has taught us to be happy with the things that we have.  We've learning more and more each day to place value in eternal things.  Consider the words of Matthew 6:19-21, "Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:  But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal:   For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."   Matthew 6:33 then sums up why it pays to serve God:  "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you"  God will teach us what has eternal value and He will bless us with eternal riches far beyond what we can ever imagine.

This week I've learned it "pays to walk!"  More importantly I've been reminded that it "pays to serve God!"