Safety Zone




Just a few moments ago we felt a tremor. It wasn't a strong one, it didn't even rattle the windows as much as tremors usually do. It did manage to shake the computer monitor where I was working on my Sunday sermon. As usual the girls play time was disrupted as they came running and screaming to find us. This tremor was located a little south of Lima and only measured 4.2 on the Richter scale. Lima has had its share of tremors over the years. Some of the strongest earthquakes in history have struck along Peru's coast. The city of Lima has been greatly damaged and even destroyed several times since the early 1500's.

Even though tremors are common here, it doesn't mean we will ever enjoy them or even get used to them. Thankfully we can be assured of God's protecting hand. I like the words of Psalm 18:2, The LORD is my rock, and my fortress, and my deliverer; my God, my strength, in whom I will trust; my buckler, and the horn of my salvation, and my high tower. Here in Lima there are signs in all public buildings showing the safest place to go in the event of an earthquake. We're told its safer to run to these areas with columns or support beams during a tremor. Isn't it good to know that God is our strenth and our salvation no matter what life brings our way?

If you're real interested in Lima's earthquake history you can read more about it here: Historical Earthquakes in Lima