Do you hear what I hear?

Over the years we have grown accustomed to life in Peru. Things that used to seem strange seem normal now. Sites, sounds and smells that used to attract our attention are now just part of our lives. Just the other day we were talking and we realized that we don't even feel like we live in a foreign country anymore. We're thankful that God has allowed us to truly enjoy living here in Peru. Yet, we still experience new things as we live here.

On Saturday we experienced a first for us here in Lima: a thunderstorm! After spending the majority of our lives in the southern United States we are used to spring and summer thunderstorms. We sometimes miss the smell of rain. We miss the darkened sky and the rush of wind that comes moments before a thunderstorm. For the first time I was almost alarmed by the sound of thunder. I was walking on the street a few block from our home. The sky looked dark and the breeze was picking up. I chuckled thinking to myself, "It never rains in Lima!" Then "BOOM!" A massive clap of thunder that caused me to jump. I was humored to see all the children running home from the nearby park. Moments later windows appeared at every window and people peered into the sky. Thunder in Lima is very rare. Later that evening I talked with our church's landlord. He informed me that it was the first time he had heard thunder in 39 years! It was even mentioned on the news and in the local newspaper.

I never thought I would see the day when a thunderstorm caused such alarm! Just part of the joy of living in coastal Peru!

God's Word is described like rain in Isaiah 55:10-11 For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither, but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it. Thanks for praying as we continue to take the "water of Life to the deserts of Peru."