Peru doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving. As a matter of fact it's pretty hard to even find a turkey in the month of November. Peruvians usually eat turkey for Christmas only. Each year as we gather with our American coworkers we always manage to find a turkey and all the trimmings for our annual feast. Here are a few select facts about turkeys that you might find interesting:
- 46 million turkeys are eaten each Thanksgiving in the United States
- The average Thanksgiving turkey weighs in at 15 pounds-so on the fourth Thursday of each November Americans eat about 690 million pounds of turkey!
- Wild turkeys can fly for short distances at speeds up to 55 mph. They can run 20 mph
- The heaviest turkey on record weighed in at 86 pounds
- Commercial breeding has caused turkey breast to grow so large that turkeys often tip over
- Turkeys are now found in all the US states except Alaska
- The costume for Big-Bird of Sesame Street fame is rumored to be made with real Turkey feathers