Now We're Homeless!

Today, we have officially been out of Peru for 183 days.  Perhaps you're wondering why that number is significant.  It means we are no longer legal residents of Peru.  For the last nine years we have been legal non-immigrant residents.  However, Peruvian immigration laws prohibit us from being out of Peru for more than 183 days in any given year.  That means starting today our immigration documents are no longer valid.  If we returned to Peru today, we'd only be tourists not residents.   

I couldn't help but think of the old Gospel song, "This world is not my home, I'm just passing through.  My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue.  The angels beckon me from Heaven's open door.  And I can't feel at home in this world anymore."  For now, Peru is no longer our home. Thankfully we still have a home in America.  More importantly as Christians we need to remember that ultimately no place on the planet is home.  Christ noted that his kingdom was not of this world.  (John 18:36)  He promises to come someday so we can live with Him. (John 14:1-6)  We must be mindful that we are just pilgrims passing through on our way to an eternity with the Lord.  (Hebrews 11:13-16)  We might have lost our residency in Peru, but I'm glad I'll be a citizen of Heaven for eternity!

Oh, and don't worry.  We shouldn't have any problem gaining our residency visas when its time to return to Peru!