Peruvians are amazed when they find out that we are not required to vote. Here, a sticker is placed on the back of your national identification card when you vote. If you miss out on election day you have to pay a hefty fine. Without the sticker you cannot proceed with any paperwork and your fine begins to grow as interest is added.
Here are some quotes about politics that I have found interesting:
- Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. (Ronald Reagan)
- We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
- In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take. (Adlai Stevenson)
- Don't blame me! I voted for the other guy. (Bumper sticker)
- What luck for the rulers that men do not think. (Adolf Hitler)
- Democracy encourages the majority to decide things about which the majority is ignorant.