Election 2008

Tonight I was humbled to hear that a group of Peruvian pastors and their church members are planning an all night prayer meeting tomorrow evening. They will be praying that God's will be done on election day. They realize that this election is important and will have far reaching consequences. I was humbled because I haven't really been faithful to pray for this election. With the elections upon us, I wonder what percentage of American Christians are participating in a prayer meeting tomorrow night?

Peruvians are amazed when they find out that we are not required to vote. Here, a sticker is placed on the back of your national identification card when you vote. If you miss out on election day you have to pay a hefty fine. Without the sticker you cannot proceed with any paperwork and your fine begins to grow as interest is added.

Here are some quotes about politics that I have found interesting:

  • Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first. (Ronald Reagan)
  • We need a president who's fluent in at least one language.
  • In America, anybody can be president. That's one of the risks you take. (Adlai Stevenson)
  • Don't blame me! I voted for the other guy. (Bumper sticker)
  • What luck for the rulers that men do not think. (Adolf Hitler)
  • Democracy encourages the majority to decide things about which the majority is ignorant.